I think I found a new recipe for the rotation. In fact, I think I REPLACED a recipe in my rotation. Crunchy taco’s are totally out. What’s the difference between street taco’s and American taco’s? First the shell. American taco’s have a hard crunchy shell. Street taco’s traditionally use small corn tortillas that are easy to hold and shape, easy for eating on the street. They also usually come with two tortillas to help mold into a comfortable position for one handed eating. Much like the sandwich, these were made to be eaten quickly with minimal utensils. They are made open face to show off the beautiful insides and then you fold them up and enjoy! These taste just like the street tacos from my favorite Mexican restaurant. (Yes, my favorite street taco’s come from a restaurant and not a taco truck. Lame, I know, but where I’m from, you can’t find a whole lot of Taco Trucks.)
These are incredibly easy and fast to make, plus there are minimal ingredients. You start with a pound of ground beef, or meat of your choice, be sure to chop it up really well, it has to be easy to bite into). Cook it up in your frying pan and drain off any grease. Add water and spices stir it up and let the water reduce. You’re done! So easy! Scoop up some meat and place it down the center of your tortillas. Add your favorite toppings. My favorites are queso blanco, onion, cilantro and a drizzle of fresh lime. You must have fresh lime! It’ll give it that real authentic taste. You can also add some red cabbage, avocado, pico de gallo, whatever you please. Just don’t fill it up too much. These have to be easy to fold up and eat!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 TBSP chili powder
- 1/3 cup water
- 12 corn tortilla
- fresh lime juice
- minces yellow or red onion, cilantro, purple cabbage, avocado, pico de gallo
- Brown ground beef in a frying pan. Drain grease.
- Add spices and water. Stir and let simmer until water has reduced, about 5 minutes.
- Warm tortillas in the microwave wrapped around a damp paper towel, 1 minute, or until heated through.
- Place two tortillas on top of each other and divide meat between 6 tacos.
- Top with favorite toppings and squeeze fresh lime juice over the tacos.
- Fold tacos and enjoy!