I’ve had a bag of Rice Krispy cereal sitting in my pantry for months now. Just starring back at me, begging me to cover them in melted butter and marshmallows. I finally did today but I couldn’t stop at just plain old Rice Krispy Treats. I remembered a somoa sheet cake I made from a recipe on Chef In Training awhile ago, and felt inspired. I toasted some coconut flakes, melted some caramel and chocolate and drizzled everything on top. So easy, and a fun step up from a normal Rice Krispy Treat. Beware: These aren’t for the faint of heart. Only hard core sweet tooth’s can handle these bad boys.
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 10oz package marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispy cereal
- 1 cup of your favorite caramel sauce
- 8 oz chocolate chips
- 2 TBSP shortening
- Heat oven to 350. Spread coconut in an even layer on a cookie sheet. Bake 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, measure cereal into a bowl and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter and marshmallows over medium heat.
- Pour melted marshmallow mixture, and a half cup of caramel sauce over cereal and stir until the cereal is evenly coated.
- Coat a 9x13 pan with cooking spray, and press the rice krispy's into the pan with wax paper or a buttered spatula.
- Evenly sprinkle coconut flakes over the rice krispy's treats.
- Cut the rice krispy's treats into two inch squares.
- Melt the chocolate chips and and shortening in the microwave over a medium heat. Stir to combine. Dip the rice krispy treats the chocolate and place on wax paper to let chocolate harden. Drizzle remaining chocolate over top of the treats.
- Drizzle remaining caramel sauce over the top.