There’s one food at the top of my list that I really do not like. Tomatoes. It’s the texture. Just mushy and cold. Bleh. But I do love tomato by products. Ketchup, soups, sauces, and of course, salsa. It has taken me a while to warm up to Pico de Gallo. The tomatoes are a little too fresh, but when I get some crunchy chips, and there’s tons of flavor, I can get past the squish and dig in big time.
Pico de Gallo comes together so fast and its so fresh and healthy. You don’t need to just eat chips with Pico de Gallo either (although chips are the preferred vessel for me). You can can pour this over tacos or burritos, or toss some in a fresh chicken salad. Your taste buds are about to be blown out of the water.
There’s a few things you can do to personalize your Pico de Gallo too. For starters, traditionally, Pico de Gallo calls for white onion. I perfer a red onion, not just for the pop of color, but the slightly tangy and milder flavor. I have also seen recipes that call for green pepper as well as a jalapeno pepper. I chose not to add in green pepper. Just a personal preference, but feel free to throw some in there too. Depending on how hot you want your Pico de Gallo, you can use a jalapeno, Serrano, or Habanero. You can also vary how much you use. I ended up using about half of a normal jalapeno pepper. (I know, I am no fun.) Have fun with it, it’s a bright flavorful dish, and nothing needs to be exact here.
- 5 large roma tomatoes
- 1/2 red or white onion
- Jalapeno, Serrano, or Habanero pepper (vary amount and type of pepper depending on how hot you want your salsa)
- 2-3 TBSP chopped cilantro
- 2 TBSP fresh lime juice
- dash of salt
- Cut tomatoes length wise and remove the hard fleshy center and seeds.
- Dice the remaining part of the tomatoes and place into a bowl.
- Dice the onion and hot pepper and add to tomatoes.
- Chop cilantro and add to tomatoes.
- Squeeze lime juice over the other vegetables.
- Give a shake of salt over the vegetables.
- Stir until well mixed and the vegetables are evenly distributed. Serve immediately.