Nutella lovers unite!! Here’s your answer for your Nutella craving, if you’re not already sitting with a big spoonful of it, that is. I myself, am not a huge Nutella fan. (Please don’t shun me.) Hazelnut is just not my jam. I did however really enjoy these cupcakes. I made these for a birthday party last year and we all loved them, and there were no leftovers. The surprise Ferrero Rocher inside the cupcake was my favorite part. It was a welcome mix of texture.
I know that there are other pictures of Ferrero Rocher cupcakes out there and they are cut perfectly in half. I want you to know that those pictures are lies. You can’t cut these perfectly in half. There are nuts in there and those truffles? They are really crumbly. So here’s the real deal. This is what they look like on the inside.
These cupcakes are so thick and moist. It almost makes your tongue curl up, in a totally spectacular way. The frosting… oh my word, the frosting. It has just the perfect amount of Nutella so its not overpowering and the chocolate isn’t overshadowed, so creamy and smooth. Be sure to make a little extra for snitching, or else you won’t have enough to cover all your cupcakes. You might also consider buying a few extra Ferrero Rochers for snitching. Not only for yourself, but for anyone who may be passing through the kitchen while your baking.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ cups vegetable oil
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 Ferrero Rocher truffles, frozen
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup cream cheese
- ⅓ cup Nutella
- 4 oz semisweet baking chocolate
- 2 TBSP cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- ½ tespoon vanilla
- 12 Ferrero Rocher
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, line cupcake tin with liners
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat together oil, egg, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- While beating, slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Continue mixing until the ingredients are well combine and batter is smooth.
- Add 1 TBSP batter to each cupcake line. Add one frozen Ferrero Rocher truffle to each each cup cake and continue to fill the cupcake tins to 2/3 full.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate, set aside and let cool to room temperature.
- In a separate bowl combine butter and sugar, beat until it is fluffy. Add cream cheese and continue to beat until ingredients are well combine.
- Add vanilla, salt, Nutella, cocoa powder, and melted chocolate. Mix and combine evenly.
- Put the frosting in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to set.
- Frost cupcakes and garnish with Ferrero Rocher truffle.
- Keep cool until enjoying.
*Source: OMG Chocolate Desserts