This Pizza? This pizza right here? It’s my favorite. Forget pepperoni, hawaiian, or a meat lovers. Give me BBQ Chicken Pizza and I’ll be doing my happy dance all night. Which looks like a pathetic version of the “Carlton.” I used to think my kids were laughing with me… Either way this pizza is fantastic.
My secret here? The barbecue sauce. It’s not homemade. Oh, no. Nothing tops Sweet Baby Ray’s. (And no, I am not being paid to say that, although I wish I was. They have my full endorsement.) It just has that perfect savory tang that I love. Smoother that all over that crust. I mean, really make it saucy.
Next, cheese. Forget the cheddar. If you want your pizza to be perfect, go for the mozzarella.
I almost forgot the chicken. Any cooked chicken will do. Left overs, whatever. The chicken will soak up all yummy barbecue sauce flavor. It just has to be cooked. I personally like to pick up a rotisserie chicken.
Then the extra toppings. Red onion. I chop some up and bake it with the pizza, and throw some fresh slices on top when it comes out the of oven. And lastly, the cilantro. I used to have problems with cilantro. The taste of cilantro reminded me of the smell of sweat. But some time after I had my baby girl, everything changed. I am having a total love affair with cilantro and I can’t get enough of it. Chop some up and throw it on there. I added cilantro before and after baking the pizza, just as I did with the onions.
Bake this bad boy up and enjoy! Don’t plan on having left overs, even if you’re by yourself. It’ll disappear before you can do your own happy dance. Look at that piece of pizza. So many vibrant colors. I don’t think pizzas get much prettier than this.
As for the crust recipe, I have to give credit to my sister in law, Kat. She shared this with me and it’s my go-to now. Thank you, Kat.
- 1 c. warm water
- 1 TBSP sugar
- 1 packet of yeast (or 2 1/4 tsp.)
- 3 TBSP vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 1/2 cup flour
- Sweet Baby Ray's original barbecue sauce (I usually use about half the bottle.)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, cut into small chunks
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Mix water, sugar and yeast together. Let stand for a minute or two.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir until incorporated. Continue to knead by hand or with a stand mixer until the dough is smooth and has an elastic consistency. Add more flour if necessary to achieve desired consistency.
- Form the dough into a ball and set aside for ten minutes. This is a good time to start prepping your toppings.
- After ten minutes, roll your dough into a large square. I use a 15x9ish pizza pan.
- Use as much Sweet Baby Ray's as you like. I usually use about half a bottle. I like my pizza saucy.
- Evenly spread the chicken over the barbecue sauce.
- Sprinkle cheese all over.
- Evenly Spread half the red onion and cilantro over the pizza.
- Bake at 425 for 18-20 minutes.
- Spread remaining red onion and cilantro over pizza.
- Stuff your face.